Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Ericales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Pale Jewelweed at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 118-01-001:
Impatiens pallida FAMILY Balsaminaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Pale Jewelweed, Pale Touch-me-not, Yellow Jewelweed, Yellow Touch-me-not
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm0506p_25
June Jackson County NC
Blue Ridge Parkway
Leaves elliptic to elliptic-ovate, crenate, with rounded base, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
JK Marlow jkm090726_113
July Buncombe County NC
Blue Ridge Parkway
Sac-like sepal constricts abruptly into a spur curving down at right angle, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005).
COMPARE flowers of Jewelweed species
Samantha Tessel sam071323_4419
July Greenville County SC
Lemon yellow (sometimes cream) flowers that may be sparingly spotted, per Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998).
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to North Carolina & Georgia
Common in NC Mountains (rare elsewhere in GA-NC-SC)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- All About South Carolina Wildflowers (Midgley, 1999) p184
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee (Hunter, 2002) p141
- Great Smoky Mountains Wildflowers (Campbell, Hutson, Sharp, & Hutson, 1962) p112
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p101
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p054
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p223
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p048
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition (Justice, Bell, & Lindsey, 2005) p147
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p126
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p172
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p206
- Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont (Spira, 2011) p391
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p095
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".