Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Gentianales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Slender Marsh-pink at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 155-01-008:
Sabatia campanulata FAMILY Gentianaceae
INCLUDED WITHIN Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Slender Marsh-pink, Slender Rose-gentian
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_s_campanulata_slend_c
Corolla lobes pink. Calyx lobes > 3/4× as long as the corolla lobes and sometimes exceeding them, per Weakley's Flora (2023).
JK Marlow jkm231025_6283
October Greenville County SC
Ashmore Heritage Preserve
Calyx lobes are erect to wide spreading, linear to narrowly linear, less than 0.5mm wide, per Gentians of the Eastern US (Drake, 2011).
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in Coastal Plain (rare elsewhere)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Pink (rarely white), with a yellow eye bordered in dull red
5-lobed rotate corolla
5 stamens, fused to corolla
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006) p087
- Gentians of the Eastern US (Drake, 2011) p164
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p496
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p377
- Field Guide to the Rare Plants of Georgia (Chafin, 2007) p317
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p366
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p182
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p216
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p187
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p223
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p125
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".