Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Monocots: Liliales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Learn more about Stenanthium from the Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm060521_203
May Macon County NC
Highlands Biological Station
Leaves 8-30" long and linear in outline, per Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers.
Rick Huffman frh_082518_4127
Smooth herb arising from a slender bulb, to 5' tall, with a 1-3' panicle, per Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers.
JK Marlow jkm080802_083
August Jackson County NC
Blue Ridge Parkway
Perianth segments are 1/4" long, narrow, and acuminate, per Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains.
Tim Spira tpssgraminium
A branching 1-3' inflorescence (technically a panicle) tops the stem, per Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers.
JK Marlow jkm061029_169
October Oconee County SC
Sumter National Forest: Andrew Pickens Ranger District
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Documented growing wild in GA NC SC
Basal & alternate
Bisexual & staminate
6 persistent tepals
Ovary superior to partly inferior
Inflorescence a panicle
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers p229
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide p344
- Southern Appalachian Wildflowers p044
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast p165
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States p161
- Wild Flowers of NC, 1st edition p032
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition p034
- Wildflowers of Tennessee p368
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians p423
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains p014