Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Cornales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Ogeechee Tupelo, Ogeechee Lime, Ogeechee Plum
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_nyssa_ogeche_3
Fruit an oblong drupe, 1-1.5" long, pendulous on stalks 0.5" long or less, per Native Trees of the Southeast, An Identification Guide.
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_nyssa_ogeche_7
Leaves similar to N. aquatica; tips rounded to blunt; petioles less than 1", per Native Trees of the Southeast, An Identification Guide.
Dioecious or polygamo-dioecious
Native to South Carolina & Georgia
Documented growing wild in GA - SC
Common (rare in SC), endemic to the Southeastern Coastal Plain
5-10 petals or petals absent
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Gardening with Native Plants of the South p047
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC p294
- Landscaping with Native Trees p160
- Native Shrubs and Woody Vines of the Southeast p100
- Native Trees of the Southeast, An Identification Guide p116
- Trees of the Southeastern United States p255
- Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide p220