Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Lamiales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Check out EDDMapS.org to see where this has been reported.
Read more about Lamium at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
INCLUDED WITHIN VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 164-19-001:
Lamium amplexicaule FAMILY Lamiaceae
INCLUDED WITHIN Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Henbit, Henbit Deadnettle
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Gill Newberry gn03_l_amplexicaule_flowe
Corolla 2-lipped: upper hoodlike, lower spotted and with 2 lateral lobes, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
Gill Newberry gn03_lamium_amplex
Whorls of flowers subtended by sessile, horizontal leaves, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
JK Marlow jkm0403a_16
March Greenville County SC
Leaves nearly round, upper ones sessile & almost clasping, per Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998).
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: Lawns, fields, roadsides, disturbed areas, gardens, pastures, per Weakley's Flora
Non-native: Eurasia & northern Africa
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
This plant may be causing problems in natural areas outside its native range, according to authorities such as:
2-lipped corolla, upper hood-like, lower two-lobed
4 stamens, arched under the corolla's upper lip
Schizocarp of mericarps
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006) p088
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 1st ed. (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p365
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p525
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p086
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p323
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p192
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p081
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition (Justice, Bell, & Lindsey, 2005) p217
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p235
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p220
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p261
- Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont (Spira, 2011) p394
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p145
- Weeds of Southern Turfgrasses (Murphy et al., 1992) p131
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".