Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Gentianales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Annual Sea-pink at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 155-01-007:
Sabatia stellaris FAMILY Gentianaceae
INCLUDED WITHIN Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Annual Sea-pink, Salt-marsh Pink, Rose-of-Plymouth
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Patrick D. McMillan pdmstellaris_bcnp
Month Unknown Collier County FL
Big Cypress National Preserve
Pink, 5-petaled flowers borne on straight, slender, 2-4" stalks, per Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006).
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: Brackish marshes, maritime wet grasslands, per Weakley's Flora
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in Coastal Plain
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Opposite, sometimes basal
Pink (rarely white), with a yellow eye
5-lobed rotate corolla
5 stamens, fused to corolla
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006) p088
- Gentians of the Eastern US (Drake, 2011) p192
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 1st ed. (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p348
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p496
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p367
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p083
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p216
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".