Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Caryophyllales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Pink Sundew at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 092-01-005:
Drosera capillaris FAMILY Droseraceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Pink Sundew, Bog Sundew
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm0505q_37
May Williamsburg County SC
Plant is red in full sun and up to 2" in diameter. — Patrick McMillan
Kevin Adams kcadroseracapillaris_27
Croatan National Forest
Leaves obovate to spatulate, petioles equal to or slightly longer than blades, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
Kevin Adams kcadroseracapillaris_w10
May Brunswick County NC
Petioles not filiform, less than 2cm long, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
Patrick D. McMillan pdmdcapillaris_moultrie2
May Berkeley County SC
Flowers borne on a 1.5-9" threadlike scape that lacks gland-tipped hairs, per Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006).
Flora of North America
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: pine savannas, other wet sandy or peaty sites, per Weakley's Flora
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in Coastal Plain (rare elsewhere)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
5 persistent sepals
5 persistent petals
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006) p081
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p371
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p022
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p165
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p071
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p094
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p063
- Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region (Sorrie, 2011) p176
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".