Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Gentianales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Gentiana at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
INCLUDED WITHIN Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Prairie Closed Gentian, Closed Bottle Gentian
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Native: north of the Carolinas & Georgia
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Gentians of the Eastern US (Drake, 2011) p072
- Gardening with Native Plants of the South (Wasowski & Wasowski, 1994, 2020) p141
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee (Hunter, 2002) p132
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p252?
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p124?
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".