Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Ericales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Wintergreen at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 145-16-001:
Gaultheria procumbens FAMILY Ericaceae
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Tim Spira tpsgprocumbens5
The leaves and red berries are natural sources of oil of wintergreen, per Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont (Spira, 2011).
JK Marlow jkm060711_120
July Fayette County WV
Babcock State Park
Solitary, white to pinkish, urn-shaped flowers hang from stalks, per Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont (Spira, 2011).
JK Marlow jkm150912_143
September Clay County NC
Nantahala National Forest: Tusquitee Ranger District
Leaves crenate to crenate-serrate with deciduous bristle-tipped teeth, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
JK Marlow jkm0310g_28
October Haywood County NC
Corneille Bryan Native Garden
Stems erect, the leaves 15-50mm long, clustered at the tip of the stem, per Weakley's Flora (2012).
Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
Flora of North America
Habitat: Heath balds, woodlands, and openings, usually acidic and xeric, per Weakley's Flora
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in NC Mountains, uncommon in NC Piedmont & NC Coastal Plain (rare in GA & SC)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
5-lobed urceolate or slightly campanulate corolla
8-10 included stamens
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee (Hunter, 2002) p131
- Great Smoky Mountains Wildflowers (Campbell, Hutson, Sharp, & Hutson, 1962) p108
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 1st ed. (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p168
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p191
- Native Shrubs and Woody Vines of the Southeast (Foote & Jones, 1989) p113
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p212
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p123
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition (Justice, Bell, & Lindsey, 2005) p185
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p098
- Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont (Spira, 2011) p376
- Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide (Lance, 2004) p148
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p119
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".