Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Rosids: Malvids: Malvales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Check out EDDMapS.org to see where this has been reported.
Read more about Chinese Parasol-tree at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 6 (2015)
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 123-01-001:
Firmiana platanifolia FAMILY Sterculiaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Chinese Parasol-tree, Japanese Varnishtree, Phoenix Tree
NameThatPlant has no pictures at this time. You might try this link: Flora of the Southeastern United States
Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 6
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: Planted and naturalized nearby, per Weakley's Flora
Non-native: southeast Asia, probably China
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
This plant is causing problems in natural areas outside its native range, according to authorities such as:
- Alabama Invasive Plant Council, 2012
- Georgia Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2006
- SC Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2014
- Tennessee Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2009
- US Forest Service Southern Research Station
5 petaloid sepals
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- A Field Guide for the Identification of Invasive Plants in Southern Forests (Miller, Chambliss, & Lowenstein, 2010) p010
- Native Trees of the Southeast, An Identification Guide (Kirkman, Brown, & Leopold, 2007) p349
- Trees of the Southeastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1988) p203
- Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide (Lance, 2004) p140
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".