Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Campanulids: Dipsacales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Northern Bush-honeysuckle at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 174-01-001:
Diervilla lonicera FAMILY Caprifoliaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Penny Longhurst pen_20190724_130220b
Sepals 4-5mm long, per Manual of the Southeastern Flora (JK Small, 1933).
Joe Standaert jst081517_minnesota_0469
Gooseberry State Park
Leaves lanceolate to ovate, accuminate, serrate, base rounded, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
Joe Standaert jst082415_acadia_0323b
Petioles 5-8mm long; leaves ciliate on the margins, per Weakley's Flora (2022).
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: rock outcrops and ridges at high elevations, per Weakley's Flora
Native to North Carolina & possibly Georgia
Uncommon in NC
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Leaves do not have stipules.
5 exserted stamens
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee (Hunter, 2002) p243
- Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants p061
- Native Shrubs and Woody Vines of the Southeast (Foote & Jones, 1989) p124
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p304
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p147
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p266
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p309
- Woody Plants of the Blue Ridge (Lance) p16
- Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide (Lance, 2004) p130
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".