Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Ericales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
You may also want to check Trees, Shrubs, and Woody Vines of North Carolina
Read more about Bigleaf Snowbell at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 152-02-001:
Styrax grandifolia FAMILY Styracaceae
Bigleaf Snowbell, Bigleaf Storax, Large-leaved Storax
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm0505e_16
May Oconee County SC
Foliage quite similar to Halesia diptera, per Trees of the Southeastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1988).
JK Marlow jkm210508_0201
May Oconee County SC
Ramsey Creek Preserve
Leaves suborbicular to widely elliptic or obovate, the longest ~ 5-14cm long, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
COMPARE leaves of Silverbell, Spicebush and Storax
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_styrax_grandifolius_6
Cymes racemose, usually 5-20 flowered; corolla lobes 10-20mm long, pubescent, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
JK Marlow jkm120728_022
July Abbeville County SC
Parson's Mountain Recreation Area
Leaves densely and finely pubescent beneath, giving the underside a pale color, per Weakley's Flora.
Ron Lance rwl_styraxgrandifolia
September Oconee County SC
Fruit 8-10mm in diameter, per Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide (Lance, 2004).
Flora of North America
Habitat: Mesic to dry upland forests, bluffs, per Weakley's Flora
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in Piedmont, uncommon in Coastal Plain, rare in Mountains
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Synsepalous calyx, lobes minute
5-lobed campanulate corolla
Flowers in racemes of 5-20 flowers
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Gardening with Native Plants of the South (Wasowski & Wasowski, 1994, 2020) p086
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee (Hunter, 2002) p262
- Native Shrubs and Woody Vines of the Southeast (Foote & Jones, 1989) p119
- Native Trees of the Southeast, An Identification Guide (Kirkman, Brown, & Leopold, 2007) p322
- Field Guide to the Rare Plants of Georgia (Chafin, 2007) p131
- Trees of the Southeastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1988) p245
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p146
- Woody Plants of the Blue Ridge (Lance) p35
- Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide (Lance, 2004) p342
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".